Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Mississippi

It is my usual practice on this blog to highlight arcane events or people in an effort to broaden my own horizons and entertain myself (and, I hope, visitors hereto). Well, today is a little different because it's the anniversary (1963) of the murder of Medgar Evers in Mississippi.

I've only been to Mississippi once, traveling through on the way to New Orleans. It was hot.

Here are two of my favorite songs about Mississippi -- the state and the river.

The first song is chilling and moving and I hope it helps us remember what people like Medgar Evers were up against and how we owe them. The second is a bit more upbeat. The Cactus Blossoms recently released a new album and I think I'm going to buy it.  I hope they come back to Northfield.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I treid comment moderation but it was clumsy. I still reserve the right to delete offensive comments, so be nice.