Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Waits and Brautigan: Wrong for all the Right Reasons

 It's the birthday (1949) of Tom Waits. He was born in California, went to high school in Chula Vista, and describes himself as a "rebel against the rebels." This has been interpreted as a rebuke to the hippie culture in SoCal during his teens and a nod to the earlier beat generation -- the Kerouacs and Ferlinghettis and Brautigans. Waits is said to have been inspired by Bob Dylan and other early folk-rock figures.

Mr. Waits is a brilliant songwriter and dedicated individualist. I really like his stuff, especially the holiday classic "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis."

 Brautigan and Waits shared an affinity for the mundane and the absurd, as in this little gem from Brautigan:

Private Eye Lettuce

Three crates of Private Eye Lettuce,
the name and drawing of a detective
with magnifying glass on the sides
of the crates of lettuce,
form a great cross in man’s imagination
and his desire to name   
the objects of this world.
I think I’ll call this place Golgotha

and have some salad for dinner.

--------

The Double-Bed Dream Gallows

Driving through   
hot brushy country
in the late autumn,   
I saw a hawk
crucified on a
barbed-wire fence.

I guess as a kind   
of advertisement   
to other hawks,   
saying from the pages
of a leading women’s   
   magazine,

“She’s beautiful,
but burn all the maps   
to your body.
I’m not here
of my own choosing.”

--------------

Thanks for stopping by and please enjoy some music and poetry of your own choosing.

3 comments:

  1. Suddenly, I can comment on my own blog. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a donut shop in West Seattle called 9th and Hennepin. I thought the owner was from Minneapolis, but it turns out he's just a Tom Waits fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty neat. Brautigan spent his childhood in the Pacific Northwest.

      Delete

I treid comment moderation but it was clumsy. I still reserve the right to delete offensive comments, so be nice.