Monday, July 1, 2019

Happy birthday, Canada

July 1 is Canada Day because in 1867, three separate colonies were united by the King (and maybe parliament, I don't really know) into a single entity called Canada. Some descendants of former French settlements chafe at the idea, but most Canadians still celebrate. They may or may not listen to the famous Canadian musician Neil Young (after all, he lived in Los Angeles for a long time), but we'll play this one for all our Canadian followers.


They still drink Labatt Blue, I think.


The Diefendollar is probably worth a lot more than a dollar today. What did PM Diefenbaker do to deserve such mockery? I do hope one of my many Canadian followers will fill this gap in our knowledge by leaving a comment below. Or you could just Google it.

 I once played golf in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. The municipal course had sand greens and the locals were prone to cheating a little bit by dragging the putter blade between the ball and cup to create a shallow trench. Made some loooooong putts that day!


1 comment:

  1. My daughter-in-law probably knows the answers you seek about the Diefendollar. I'll share this with her. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

I treid comment moderation but it was clumsy. I still reserve the right to delete offensive comments, so be nice.