Monday, May 2, 2011

Rush River IPA and a confession



Rush River brewery in River Falls, WI was reportedly founded by some St. Olaf college grads. Wouldn’t it be nice if they’d stayed in Northfield so we’d have our very own craft brewery? I sampled some of their Bubblejack IPA this week. I don’t know how it got that name. Seems like they’re trying just a tad too hard.


It’s unfiltered, so it looks a little smoky in the glass, but the taste is very bright and crisp. Hoppy. I like it, which will surprise nobody.


But here’s a confession: I’m sure I could not distinguish Rush River Bubblejack from any other IPA. My taste buds might be getting tired. The whole craft beer thing has finally – for me – grown a little tedious. So trendy and faux-rebellious that I tend to shut down. What had been a niche is now the norm. I don’t want to be normal.


Maybe I’ll start drinking Budweiser or Miller High Life or Grain Belt Premium. Yeah. I kind of like the Grain Belt idea because, even though it’s just a bland straight-ahead simple American lager, it is a regional as opposed to multinational beer. And you can get it at Target Field, where for some reason the beer of choice seems to be Bud Light. I am not going to drink Bud Light. A guy has to have some standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I treid comment moderation but it was clumsy. I still reserve the right to delete offensive comments, so be nice.