Monday, July 14, 2008

Depth Chart: The ghost of Michael Cuddyer

Michael Cuddyer tells Denard Span to
get back in the dugout.
And stay there.

Checked the official Twins site today looking for trade rumors, although the official site is the last place I'd really expect to find such rumors.

I'm thinking that Boof's days as a Twin should be numbered, but I don't think any other club would jump at the chance to acquire Mr. Bonser.

Just bouncing more or less randomly around the Twins site, I looked at the depth chart. Michael Cuddyer isn't listed anywhere. Not in right field (his regular starting position), not as a backup third- or first-baseman. And not on the disabled list. Michael, where are you? Who'd we get for Michael? What did Micheal do to anger the manager or the front office?

His omission from the on-line depth chart is obviously inadvertent, but that got me to thinking -- Cuddyer might be very good trade bait. Mr. Span has certainly impressed since being called up to replace the injured Cuddyer. Kubel and Young could split time in left; Gomez is pretty solid (at least defensively) in center; Span looks good in right. Monroe is a serviceable veteran backup.

So, what could we get for Cuddyer?

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, and I'm not saying he should be traded. It's just fun to speculate, especially during the all-star break. Cuddyer for Beltre, straight up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I treid comment moderation but it was clumsy. I still reserve the right to delete offensive comments, so be nice.