Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ballpark Frank

Baseball should be played outside, on grass, in the sun.

Team owners, especially billionaires, should pay to build their own ballparks.

As a fan, I will happily go to the Twins' new ballpark (for which ground is being broken officially this evening). I have been lucky enough to attend games at the old Met Stadium, in old Comiskey, new Comiskey, Wrigley, Angels Stadium, Camden Yards, Fenway, Yankee Stadium, that new ballpark in Philadelphia named for a bank, and assorted college, amateur, and minor league parks from Cape Cod to Hawaii. I am excited about a modern, small ballpark in Minneapolis.

Still, I think Smilin' Carl Pohlad and his buddies (Selig, Opat, even Pawlenty) pulled a fast one. It's not an especially refined response or courageous or principled, but I just have to shrug. The process was unsavory, but I'll accept the outcome. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Play ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I treid comment moderation but it was clumsy. I still reserve the right to delete offensive comments, so be nice.